We buried a Marine Today

The slow moving parade was lead up the hill by silver Cadillacs.  Once at the top of the hill everyone exited their vehicles and gathered around the tent with the green carpeted ground.  Off to the side were two marines in full dress uniforms.  A third marine was further away off to the other side and he had a bugle in his hand.

We had just heard in the eulogy that Andrew, just like my dad,Gloria's uncle,  and I expect many other 17 year olds, left high school to server their county during WWII.  Andrew was in the Pacific and had been wounded and received the purple heart.  I knew he was a marine, but the purple heart part had escaped me.  I think that says something about the man.

Hearing taps played has always given me goose bumps, and seeing a uniformed member of the armed services play it always puts a lump in my throat.  Today was no exception.  From our vantage point Gloria and I could see a good 90 % of those in attendance.  While the marine played taps the other two removed the flag from the casket and prepared to fold it.  As I watched and took in the whole experience, I noticed a man come to full attention and hold a salute for the entire song. He appeared to be in his 80's, just as Andrew was.  As I looked around,  I saw no one else in this posture.  There were a few with their hands over their hearts, but no salutes.

Seeing the man at attention like that got me to thinking about the WWII veterans, and how they and their families,  stepped up to the challenges of that day.  I am a "Boomer", baby boomers have had, and continue to have, a big impact on how things are in our country.  But my generation  doesn't hold a candle to the generation that begot them.  Andrew, Gloria's dad and uncle, my dad,  and the gentleman saluting during taps, truly are from the Greatest Generation this country has seen.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts