Too Much of a Good Thing

As many of you know, awhile ago I traded my big Canon camera system for a much smaller and lighter Olympus system.  So now when Gloria and I hike we have far less weight and the new camera system suits me very well.  So traveling lighter is a good thing.

We are now in the St. Augustine area, Vilano Beach area on an unnamed Island to be exact.  Just up the road a few miles is the Guana Tolomato Matanzas National Estuarine Research Reserve.  A great place to see lots of birds.  So we headed up there and planned to hike the trails and do some exploring.

I parked the truck and we started our hike.  To pack light I just grabbed the camera and the one lens I thought I would need and off we went.  We weren't gone an hour and my camera battery was getting pretty low.  I had a choice to make.  I could just keep on going, pretending to be taking pictures and go merrily along, or I could fess up and hike the mile and a half back to the truck and get a fresh battery.  I fussed up and my wife was not impressed.  There were birds everywhere she looked.  " You didn't bring a spare battery and memory card ?" " You have got to be kidding me !".  " Do I need to you make you a checklist ? "
So we started back together and then 2 herons landed on a post near us.  I started taking pictures as we moved closer and closer.  The picture below is the last photo of the ti-colored heron I got before the battery died for good.  Its not bad, but as we kept walking slowly towards the bird we got close enough that I could have gotten a close up of his eyeball.

Too make matters worse there were 2 gators in the water just beyond the bird.  A very BIG missed opportunity to say the least.  I hoofed it back to the truck and as you can tell by the other pictures the gators were still there when I returned.  The heron was long gone.




Comments

Popular Posts